The Nikon Z8
The excitement for the Nikon Z8 rivals that of the release of the Nikon D850. Nikon shooters have been eagerly waiting for what this "mini" Z9. The D850 long ruled the Nikon roost for incredible image quality, amazing autofocus and a wide dynamic range all in a high-resolution package. While the Z6/7 and Z9 have bracketed the spectrum of specs, the Z8 is the system that many D850 shooters have been waiting for.
The Nikon Z8 features a 45.7MP stacked CMOS sensor that is delivers incredible still and moving image performance. The Z8's electronic shutter means true zero blackout continuous shooting when using the camera's EVF and the wide range of autofocus options insure there's the right mode for every situation.
For video shooters, the Z8 can capture up to 8K/60p or oversampled 4K/120p internally in their ultra-efficient 12-bit N-RAW format or a variety of ProRes formats including ProRes RAW. The Z8 also adds pro-level video features such as a waveform monitor, focus peaking, and the ability to fine tune ISO at 1/6EV steps. There's also a convenient 'Video Info Display' and Red Record Border.
The Nauticam NA-Z8
The Nauticam NA-Z8 is the most intuitive and reliable underwater housing available for the Nikon Z8. Building on the successful and field-tested designs for the NA-Z6/7 and Z9 housings the NA-Z8 embodies Nauticam's Mission Control design philosophy placing essential controls within easy reach of the reinforced molded handles.
F and Z Mount Compatible
The NA-Z8 underwater housing for the Nikon Z8 utilizes the N120 Port System for Z-mount full-frame lenses. However, the NA-Z8 is also designed to accommodate the use of F-mount lenses, thanks to the FTZ adapter. This allows the same port configuration as found on an F-mount DSLR system like the NA-D6 or NA-D850.
The NA-Z8 housing is equipped with convenient lens release buttons for both F and Z mounts, making lens changes a breeze, regardless of the lens platform. You can quickly and easily switch between different lenses without having to remove the camera from the housing, except when installing or removing the FTZ adapter.
As with other Nauticam housings, the essential controls are placed as close to the handles as possible to make these the most intuitive and user friendly housings available. Our engineers place controls where they are needed most, not just simply close to where the button is on the camera. Dials feature rubberized finger grooves and levers are shaped for smooth operation. In addition to the dedicated dual thumb-levers near each handle, 'PLAYBACK' & 'DISP' on the left and 'REC' & 'AF-ON' on the right, there is a dual action lever near the front left handle for the user assignable 'Fn1' & 'Fn2' buttons. Near the right handle is also a nested 'ISO' lever. To make image review even easier, especially when using the EVF, the 'ZOOM IN' and 'ZOOM OUT' buttons are mapped to the right hand side near the handle.
Electronic viewfinders are constantly achieving higher resolution and better dynamic range and the Z8 features a 3690k-dot OLED 0.5" viewfinder. Pair the Z8's EVF with Nauticam's Full Frame Enhanced Viewfinders for unrestricted viewing of the entire EVF in either a straight or angled configuration. The added working distance from the back of the housing makes for a more comfortable and natural position underwater. Edge to edge visibility and a dioptric adjustment make for easier composition and tack-sharp focus.
Nauticam’s drive for innovation doesn't stop at elevated ergonomic camera control but continues onto the sometimes overlooked aspects of a camera housing. The NA-Z8 camera tray was uniquely designed with heat dissipation in mind. With the Z8’s unprecedented video specs they foresaw heat being something that may be encountered. Take a closer look at the NA-Z8s camera tray and you'll see baffles that distribute the heat from the Z8 across a larger surface area allowing your camera to cool while in use.
The NA-Z8 comes with the manual LED Flash Trigger (#26350) pre-installed. An optional TTL LED Flash Trigger is available (#26308). Both are self-powered by coin-cell batteries and provide fast triggering of supported strobes via the built-in fiber optic bulkheads of the NA-Z8.
Premium Professional Optics
Nauticam's lineup of optics insure the sharpest, most natural looking images underwater whether it's super-macro or wide-angle. The WACP-1 Wide Angle Conversion Lens works flawlessly with the Nikkor Z 28-75mm f/2.8 lens to deliver an impressive 130º field-of-view at 28mm and 83º at 48mm. A ~0" minimum focus distance and small front element makes composition and lighting even easier. Those looking for a more compact system can use the new WACP-C with the Sony SEL2870 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 OSS lens plus the Megadap ETZ 21 adapter which delivers full zoom through and a 130º to 59º field-of-view.
Want greater than 1:1 magnification with unmatched sharpness? The SMC-1 and SMC-2 provide 2.2x and 3.6x magnification respectively with the Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro lens and can be easily mounted with the Nauticam flips system allowing for fast deployment as well as secure and accurate placement of the optic.
The Nikon Z8 promises clean full-resolution HDMI output using an HDMI type A connector and the NA-Z8 features an M24 bulkhead that can accommodate an HDMI 2.0 connection to a monitor/recorder such as the Atomos Ninja5+ in the NA-Ninja5 housing. Mounting a housing for a monitor/recorder is possible using the one M10 or 4x 1/420UNC threaded mounts at the top of the housing.
Integrated Vacuum Check and Leak Detection System
The Nauticam vacuum check and leak detection system is shipped with NA-Z8 as standard equipment. Combined with an accessory vacuum valve (PN 25624), this monitoring system provides constant updates on the water tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing. A simple color coded LED lighting system lets the user know that the vacuum is solid, or that the housing is losing vacuum. Leak detection is built into the same circuit, so if there is water intrusion, an audible and visual indication will occur.The Nauticam system is temperature compensated, eliminating false alarms caused by a change in outside temperature, or from a camera heating up on an action packed dive.
Alex Mustard's Nikon Z8 full review
What's In the Box:
- NA-Z8 Housing with two handles and mount balls
- 90122 Spare main O-ring, O-ring remover and lubricant
- 2x Optical bulkhead caps
- Panasonic CR-2032 Battery (for moisture alarm)
- Set of Allen Keys
- Manual instruction card
- Padded housing bag and shoulder strap
- 25221 M10 strobe mounting ball for housing
- 25218 Mounting Ball Set for Tripod (for NA-A9/A7RIII/BMPCC/XT3)
- 25625 M16 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)
- 32203 Nauticam 45˚ viewfinder
- 32211 Nauticam Full Frame Straight Viewfinder 32°/ 1:1
- 32212 Nauticam Full Frame Straight Viewfinder 40°/ 0.8:1
- 32213 Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewinder 32°/ 1:1
- 32214 Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewinder 40°/ 0.8:1
- 26308 TTL Converter for Nikon (Compatible with NA-D5/D500/D850/Z7/Z7II, Ikelite DS-161, Sea&Sea YS-250, YS-D1, YS-D2, YS-D3 Inon Z-240 strobes)
- 26216 Universal Optical Fiber Cable
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 26074 M14 Nikonos 5-pin Bulkhead with Micro Connector for Nikon TTL Converter
- 26075 M14 Ikelite Style Bulkhead with Micro Connector for Nikon TTL Converter
- 28123 Pair of handles - size S (10mm closer to housing), 25011 is required.
- 25011 Set of spacers and long screws (for increasing handle distance)
- 28130 Hand Strap for 28113 (For NA-1DXII/1DXIII/D500/D5/80D/A9/R5)
- 17959 Housing Mounting Ball with 1/4'' Screws
- 90122 Housing O-ring (I.D.=204mm, C.S.=4.0mm)
1) Required accessories for HDMI 2.0 Cable System
- 25086 M24 adaptor for HDMI 2.0 cable (incl. tightening tool)
- 25099 M24A2R200-M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 Cable (for NA-a1 to use with Ninja V housing) *To be test.
- 17922 Nauticam Atomos Ninja V Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 1 0-bit Reorder/Monitor/Player (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable)
- 17922S Nauticam Atomos Ninja V-S Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 10-bit Reorder/Monitor/Player (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable) with Atomos AtomX SDI Module
2) Required accessories for HDMI 1.4 Cable System
- 25033 Standard HDMI bulkhead with M16 thread*
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 25100 HDMI (D-A) 1.4 Cable in 200mm length for NA-a1 (for connection from HDMI bulkhead to camera)
*25033 included in below monitor housings.
- 17923 NA-Shinobi-H Housing for Atomos Shinobi 5.2" 4K HDMI Monitor
- 17925 NA-503-H Housing for SmallHD 503 UltraBright On-Camera Monitor
Required Monitor Mounting system
- 17951 Nauticam Atomos Shogun housing mounting system
- 17954 Tripod plate for NA-A7S and NA-GH4
- 17957 Nauticam Atomos Shogun Housing Mounting Adaptor for NA-S1R/S1H/BMPCC/E2F/R3/Z9(SN from A439736)
- 17960 Universal Quadra-Pod Plate for Nauticam Housings
- 81201 Super Macro Convertor 1 (2.3x Magnification)
- 81202 Super Macro Convertor 2 (4x Magnification)
- 86201 Macro to Wide Angle Lens 1 (MWL-1) 150 deg. FOV with full frame 60mm macro lens
- 85201 0.36x Wide Angle Conversion Port with Aluminium Float Collar (incl. N120 to
- N100 port adaptor)
- 85203 Wet Wide Lens Compact (WWL-C) 130 Deg. FOV with Compatible 24mm Lenses (incl. float collar)
- 85204 0.57x Wide Angle Conversion Port - 2 (WACP-2) 140 Deg. FOV with Compatible
- 14mm Lenes (incl. float collar)
- 85205 N100 0.36x Wide Angle Conversion Port Compact (WACP-C)
- 87301 EMWL Set #1 (incl. focusing unit #2, 150mm relay lens and 3 objective lenses)
- 87302 EMWL Set #2 (incl. focusing unit #2, 150mm relay lens and 3 objective lenses)
- 87201 EMWL Focusing Unit #1 (for Nikon FF 105mm & M4/3 60mm)
- 87202 EMWL Focusing Unit #2 (for Canon FF 100mm & APS-C 60mm)
- 87211 EMWL 150mm Relay Lens
- 87221 EMWL 60° Objective Lens
- 87222 EMWL 100° Objective Lens
- 87223 EMWL 130° Objective Lens
- 87226 EMWL 160° Objective Lens
Optional Accessories for using with Wet Lenses:
- 25101 M67 flip diopter holder for M67 macro ports
- 25108 M67 Double Flip Holder for M67 Macro Ports
- 83214 Bayonet Mount Adaptor for SMC/CMC
- 83250 M67 to Bayonet Mount Converter II
- 83251 M77 to Bayonet Mount Converter II
- 86221 M67 Flip holder for MWL-1
- 86222 Double Flip Holder for MWL-1
- 87501 Flip Holder for EMWL
- 87512 Shade for 130° Objective Lens
- 87513 Shade for 100° Objective Lens
- 87515 M67 Mount to EMWL Focusing Unit
- 87516 EMWL Bayonet Holder for Ø70 Float Arm
- 87517 EMWL Bayonet Holder for Ø90 Float Arm
- 87518 Strobe Mounting Brackets for EMWL Relay Lens
- 87519 Shade for 160° Objective Lens
Buoyancy Recommendation for Housing Setups: (depending on port and lens choices)
- 72216 Ø70x200mm Carbon Fibre Aluminium Float Arm (Buoyancy 370g)
- 72217 Ø70x250mm Carbon Fibre Aluminium Float Arm (Buoyancy 520g)
- 72218 Ø70x300mm Carbon Fibre Aluminium Float Arm (Buoyancy 670g)
- 72219 Ø90x170mm Carbon Fibre Aluminium Float Arm (Buoyancy 450g)
- 72220 Ø90x220mm Carbon Fibre Aluminium Float Arm (Buoyancy 720g)
- 72233 Single Bayonet Holder II for Ø70 Float Arm
- 72234 Double Bayonet Holder II for Ø70 Float Arm
- 72243 Single Bayonet Holder II for Ø90 Float Arm
- 72244 Double Bayonet Holder II for Ø90 Float Arm
- 83252 Bayonet Holder for Arms
- 83253 Double Bayonet Holder for Arms
- 83254 Bayonet Lens Holder for Inon Float Arms
- 87516 EMWL Bayonet Holder for Ø70 Float Arm
- 87517 EMWL Bayonet Holder for Ø90 Float Arm
PATENTED PORT LOCKING SYSTEM
Unveiled on the very first Nauticam DSLR housing in 2009, this locking lever has become a signature of the Nauticam brand. No twisting or threading action is required to mount a port, and it locks securely in place with this lever. Nauticam also offers locking port extensions, meaning a dome will never twist, even when used with a long extension ring.
HOUSING LOCKING LATCHES
The industry's easiest to use housing closure system, requiring very little hand strength to operate, secures the housing back in place. The latches are safely locked to prevent accidental opening, but are easy to open when needed for a quick battery or memory card change.
Nauticam engineers pride themselves on giving the underwater image-maker unparalleled access to the essential exposure controls from within easy reach of their housing's handles, making the ergonomic handles of the housing their Mission Control.
The NA-Z8 camera tray was uniquely designed with heat dissipation in mind. With the Z8’s unprecedented video specs they foresaw heat being something that may be encountered. Take a closer look at the NA-Z8s camera tray and you'll see baffles that distribute the heat from the Z8 across a larger surface area allowing your camera to cool while in use.