The Nauticam Housing for the Highest Resolution SLR to Date
Nauticam is pleased to introduce the latest in it's acclaimed line of underwater camera housings, the NA-5DSR. This housing incorporates the latest innovations from the renowned Nauticam design team, and pairs it with the extraordinary Canon EOS 5DS and Canon EOS 5DS R cameras. An astonishing 50 megapixels underwater will bring back images that were simply impossible previously.
The Canon EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R
For anyone interested in high-resolution, Canon has announced two 50 Megapixel DSLR cameras aimed squarely at still photographers, the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R. The models are identical with the exception of the low pass filter (5DS) versus an optically self-cancelling low pass filter (5DS R). These cameras are very similar in functionality to the Canon 5D Mark III, and share the same body dimensions. The main difference, besides over double the pixels, has to do with taking advantage of all that resolution. The more resolution the sensor offers, the more detail that can be captured. However, this also means that it can capture things like camera shake, shutter/mirror flap and soft focus extremely well also. Canon has gone to great lengths to minimize these effects by doing things like changing the type of motor that drives the shutter to allow it to decelerate as it opens fully.
The cameras also offer a mirror lockup mode to put some delay between the mirror opening and the capture, allowing the user to choose the time for mirror vibration to subside - maximizing sharpness while minimizing the loss of responsiveness. The body is more rigid than the 5DIII, and Canon even went so far as to reinforce the tripod socket to reduce any potential wobble when mounted on a tripod.
Canon EOS 5DS Features
- Max resolution: 8688 x 5792
- Effective pixels: 50.3 megapixels
- Sensor size: Full frame (36 x 24 mm)
- Sensor/Processor: CMOS Dual DIGIC 6
- ISO: Auto, 100-6400: (expandable to 50-12800)
- White balance presets: 8 + custom
- Screen size: 3.2″
- Screen dots : 1,040,000
- Screen type: ClearView II TFT-LCD
- Viewfinder type: Optical (pentaprism)
- Viewfinder coverage: 100% @ 0.71x
- Maximum shutter speed: 1/8000 sec
- Continuous drive 5.0 fps
- Crop Modes: : 1.3x (30.5MP) aqnd 1.6x (19.6MP)
- Video: HD H.264 ALL-I and IPB
Canon EOS 5DS R Features (as above, plus:)
- Optically self-cancelling low pass filter
Clearly a camera of this magnitude deserves the very best housing to take it underwater. Existing NA-5DMKIII housing owners - stop reading here, because that housing will work flawlessly with the 5DS. But Nauticam is unable rest on laurels, and so simply had to produce the NA-5DSR, refining the NA-5DMKIII housing just that much more. The Nauticam NA-5DMKIII has been incredibly popular and well liked among it's users. Many of the controls for the NA-5DSR are based on the NA-MKIII, taking advantage of how solid that housing is. Still, the Nauticam designers were able to make improvements. Small changes, to be sure, but each incredibly well thought out - designed by underwater photographers, for underwater photographers.
As an example of a minor but important change, the right side of the housing has been made less "crowded" by moving the video/still switch to the top of the housing, and combining the ISO and DOF preview buttons in a tactile rocker that makes accessing both controls exceptionally easy. Perhaps the biggest change is the addition of the patent pending multi-controller. This moves the joystick control closer to the right hand, making it easier to get to. The piano keys for Set and Q were beautifully sculpted to make room for it, yielding a user interface that is both beautiful and functional.
The new housing includes the Nauticam vacuum check electronics, and, like other new Nauticam DSLR housings, even includes a simple button to easily reset the vacuum electronics when only doing a lens change. It's one of those features that make one think that these designers have thought of everything.
Taking a cue from Canon about stability and the reinforced tripod socket, the NA-5DSR features the new style cam locking tray system. This assures alignment and improves stability in the housing. The housing also features a standard 1/4" 20 tripod socket plus two extra sockets for reinforcement should the shooter want to use a tripod for stability underwater.
Shot with the Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro Lens and Nauticam SMC-1.
Simple buttons like Menu, Picture Style, Rate, Magnify, and Trash have been given an angled treatment, making it easier to reach these buttons with the left hand. The shutter is the new paddle style - exceptionally easy to use even when wearing thick gloves, yet retain amazing tactile feel for use of the half-press of the 5DS shutter. The NA-5DSR includes strobe mounting balls and lightweight laser cut stability brackets.
Crop of the above image, about 10 megapixels (if not resized for this email), still holding incredible detail.
Since the 5DS, 5DS R and 5D Mark III share the same basic camera body, this housing can be used interchangeably with all three cameras. This provides incredible flexibility... shoot for high resolution with the 5DS R on one dive, then switch to the 5D Mark III for it's superb low light capability.
Shot with the Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro Lens and Nauticam SMC-1.
Finally, the NA-5DS is quite a bit lighter than the original NA-5DMKIII... so much so that the amount of added buoyancy needed for most applications is reduced or eliminated. The result is a housing that is a dream to handle underwater.
A 1:1 crop (600 pixels wide) of the above image. To put this into some perspective, the Sargent Major egg here is estimated to be about 0.5mm wide, so the width of that frame is about 1mm.
The Nauticam Port Locking Lever has become an icon; so easy to use yet more secure than lesser methods of attaching ports. No twisting required, just push & lock. Worry less about the port attachment, and focus on getting great images.
Patented Multi Controller Pad, located within easy reach of the right thumb, virtually recreates the Canon 5DS multi selector allowing full multidirectional use of this powerful tool, including diagonals. No other manufacturer has it.
Nauticam's Rubberized Handles are another iconic feature of this housing. A comfortable, secure grip that reduces hand fatigue and helps stabilize the shot.
Nauticam Locking Housing Latches mean secure yet easy access to changing batteries or memory cards. Why break your knuckles trying to open a housing?
Shot with the Canon 8-15mm at 8mm, using the Zen Underwater DP-100-NCR port with removable shade.
Detail of the watch from the shot above.
- Unsurpassed build quality, designed by award winning engineering team
- roduced utilizing the most modern manufacturing technology available
- Ergonomically placed controls with size, shape, and color differentiation
- Access to all key camera controls
- All controls clearly labeled
- atented two stage shutter release, precise feel over half/full press
- atented Port Locking System
- atent pending Multi Controller pad
- Lens release button
- Easy to operate locking housing latches
- Rubberized ergonomic grips
- Quick release camera mounting plate
- Optical strobe connectors for fiber optic flash triggering
- 2x M16 accessory holes for HDMI, hydrophone, or vacuum valve
- Single M14 accessory hole for electrical sync cable bulkhead
- Integrated vacuum monitoring and leak detection circuit (valve optional)
- Vacuum reset button in port mount for quick lens changes
- Dual 1" (25mm) strobe mounting balls included as standard equipment
- 1/4-20 tripod mounting holes
- Dual 10mm threaded accessory mounting points
- .66x optical glass pickup finder
- Magnifying 180 and 45 viewfinders available optionally
- 100m Depth Rating
Nauticam Vacuum Check System
The Nauticam vacuum check and leak detection system electronics are included with the NA-5DSR as standard equipment. Combined with an optional vacuum valve, this monitoring system provides constant updates on the water tight and safe to dive status of the housing. The operator can, at a glance, instantly see the water tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing. A simple coded LED lighting system lets the user know that the vacuum is solid, or that the housing is losing vacuum. Leak detection is built into the same circuit, so if there is water intrusion, an audible and visual indication will occur. The NA-5DSR ships with a 3rd bulkhead port specifically for installing optional vacuum valves, leaving the user two other bulkhead ports for HDMI, sync cables and other accessories.
The standard optical glass viewfinder is very good and travel friendly, but many photographers prefer the ease of a magnified viewfinder with adjustable diopter. Nauticam produces a "straight" 180º enlarging viewfinder and a 45º angled enlarging viewfinder to enhance the ease of close quarters work often associated with macro shooting. Both viewfinders have high quality optics, and allow bright viewing of the entire image. A patented external dioptric adjustment allows personal adjustment to a sharp-as-a-tack standard underwater and viewfinder changes can be executed in less than 30 seconds without using tools. Exceptional composition and focus accuracy have never been more accessible.
- 180º Enhancing Viewfinder (32201)
- 45º Enhancing Viewfinder (32203)
- Patent Pending Super Macro Converter (81201), providing 2.3:1 reproduction ratio with the popular Canon 100mm Macro lenses
- M16 Vacuum Valve (25612)
- Complete line of flat and dome ports for all major lenses, available in acrylic and glass
- Locking port extension rings from 10mm to 90mm
- Monitor/Recorder Housing for Atomos Ninja2 (17902) or Shogun (17904)
- Monitor Housing for SmallHD 501 + 502 Monitor2 (17906)
- Fiber optic cables for Inon (26211) and Sea&Sea (26212)
- Full line of mounting accessories for lighting, including mount balls, strobe adapters, arms, clamps, and specialty items
- Multiple styles of lanyards
- Lens holders, including flip-up
- Focus and Zoom gears for many Canon, Tokina, and Sigma lenses
- Port Adapters for Aquatica, Ikelite, Inon, Nexus M5 & M6, Sea & Sea NX, Seacam, Subal Version 3 & 4, and Zillion
- Handle accessories including smaller handles, handle extensions for cold water diving
Inon, Keldan, FIX
- Inon Z-240 - Powerful, reliable strobe with excellent coverage
- Inon S-2000 - Smallest strobe, ideal for travel
- FIX NEO 1500 DX SWR - Focus light with Wide, Spot and Red light options
- Keldan LUNA 4x - 6000 lumen video light
Details and Specifications
- Dimensions: 358mm (W) x 187mm (H) x 135mm (D)
- Weight: 2.80kg , 2.65kg without ball mounts and handle brackets
- Depth rating: 100m
Model Number: 17320
Shipping: August 25, 2015
More information is available from Nauticam USA at:
Contact Nauticam USA:
2303 N. Andrews Ave.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33311
Nauticam is the world's leading manufacturer of innovative and ergonomic imaging solutions. Founded in 2009 by Edward Lai, an underwater photographer with two decades of experience making precision injection molds, Nauticam has continued to raise the bar with every new model release. Nauticam's goal is to provide the absolute best user experience possible. Nauticam USA is the exclusive wholesale distributor of Nauticam products in the North and South American Markets. Nauticam USA's warehouse and service center is located in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Our staff of underwater photography experts strives to provide the best customer support and after sale service available. Dealer inquiries are welcome!
Dealers in the Americas:
Dealer Inquiries Outside of North & South America:
International Dealer Listing: