Images Taken With NA-EOSM5
The Canon EOS M5 Camera
The Canon EOS M5 uses the same Dual Pixel autofocus system as the company’s EOS 80D DSLR camera. This focusing system is particularly well-suited to tracking moving subjects, and pairs with Digital IS 5-axis image stabilization for steadier, shake-free video recording. Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers camcorder-esque smooth and fast focusing. When shooting video, a specialized Movie Servo AF mode offers natural focusing movements when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene. For still imagery, this system locks focus quickly and accurately with very little hunting.
Control dials provide the easiest way to access frequently used camera settings directly and the EOS M5 has four of them in total: two main dials on the top of the camera, a dedicated exposure compensation dial and a fourth dial encircling the four-way controller on the back of the camera. This is a much higher level of direct control than the simpler EOS M-series models offered previously.
Key Camera Specifications
- 24MP Dual Pixel APS-C CMOS Sensor
- 2.36M-dot OLED electronic viewfinder
- AF point selection joystick
- 1.62M-dot tilting rear touchscreen
- 3″ 1.04M-dot articulating LCD
- Electronic video stabilization combines with in-lens IS to give 5-axis IS
- 7 fps continuous shooting (9 fps with focus and exposure locked)
- Wi-Fi with always-connected Bluetooth
The NA-EOSM5 Housing
A quick look at the Canon EOS M5 camera reveals body styling that is clearly inherited from the ergonomically excellent Canon EOS DSLR series. That same strategy is revealed in the NA-EOSM5, incorporating all of the functionality of Nauticam DSLR systems in an extremely compact package.
The housing is small, but not at the expense of functionality or ergonomics. Integrated handles provide a sturdy and comfortable base to operate the system from. An ergonomic shutter release lever and well placed control dials provide excellent tactile feel. Important pushbuttons, such as * (for focus/exposure lock) and video record are placed within easy reach of the handles. Camera controls have sufficient spacing to allow easy operation, even by feel.
This is a rugged housing, ready to tackle thousands of hours of underwater use. Crafted from solid aircraft aluminum, the housing can reach depths of 100m with ease. The secure single rotating housing latch opens the housing back. The camera drops in easily. The rear mounted housing o-ring makes maintenance simple. Dual fiber optic bulkheads are standard and take advantage of the cameras pop-up flash for strobe triggering. To make the most of the excellent EOS M5 electronic view finder (EVF), Nauticam allows for installation of the acclaimed 45º and 180º magnifying viewfinders, providing the ultimate tool for composition and focus ability. The NA-EOSM5 is a professional grade underwater housing, supporting the outstanding EOS M5 camera body to its full potential.
Additional Housing Specifications
|Flash Triggering||Fiber Optic Bulkheads Built-in|
|Vacuum System||Electronics pre-installed|
130º Wide-Angle Coverage with Wet Optics
It’s all about the glass and great lenses are one of the keys to successful photography. This has always been a strength of Canon systems and the lineup is now stronger than ever thanks to the Nauticam Wet Wide Lens (WWL-1). The WWL-1, paired with an Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM* Lens, provides a full zoom-through ultra wide-angle setup. In our tests, this combination exceeds the corner sharpness and clarity of even very good wide-angle lenses behind high quality dome ports. The WWL-1 will focus on its front element for unmatched close-focus wide-angle performance, and full zoom-through means you can zoom to crop in camera for tighter framing. The Wet Wide Lens is mounted via a quick change bayonet system (67mm PN 83213) that allows for fast and easy one handed mounting and removal. An optional lens caddy provides a place to park the WWL-1 lens when not in use. For closeup and macro work, the Nauticam Compact Macro Converters (CMC-1, PN 81301) and (CMC-2, PN 81302) can be mounted using the same quick-change bayonet system. Ultra wide, mid-range and macro imaging capability, all on the same dive! The Canon EOS M system supports a large range of high quality Canon M lenses, and with the addition of the EF-EOS M lens mount adaptor Canon EF and EF-S lenses can be used! This includes the professional L lens lineup, and several lenses that perform extremely well underwater are available. Some examples:
- Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM: Shoot ultra-wide, mid-range and macro, all on the same dive! Add the Nauticam WWL-1 for wide angle and the Nauticam macro converters CMC-1 or CMC-2 for macro images.
- Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM: A compact answer to ultra wide-angle imagery without fisheye distortion. This rectilinear zoom lens covers ultra-wide to conventional wide-angle subjects.
- Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM: Equivalent to the classic 35mm wide-angle lens (on a full-frame camera), this is a great option for available-light shooting with its “fast” f/2.0 maximum lens aperture. Add the Nauticam WWL-1 for wider coverage underwater.
- Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM with EF-EOS M adaptor: This 180º fisheye lens focuses close and is razor sharp. The usable zoom range on an APS-C sensor is 10-15mm. Combined with a small port, there is no better CFWA (close focus wide angle) option on the planet!
- Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM with EF-EOS M adaptor: This is an nice small macro lens with 1:1 magnification. Add a Nauticam Super Macro Converter SMC-1 for even more magnification.
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM with EF-EOS M adaptor: For smaller subjects and more working distance than the 60mm macro lens, the EF 100mm f/2.8L with 1:1 magnification is the perfect choice. For more magnification add the Nauticam Super Macro Converter SMC-1 and for extremely small subjects the addition of a Nauticam Multiplier-1, provides 3.5X magnification!
*EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM is usable with WWL-1 from approximately 18mm – 45mm.
In addition to the wet-optics described above, the Nauticam NA-EOSM5 also utilizes the N85 Port System which features a wide variety of both wide-angle and macro ports to support the wide range of Canon EOS M lenses available.
A clear view for fine focus and composition is critical for successful underwater photography, and nothing beats a magnifying viewfinder. These viewfinders use distance, not closeup vision, and provide a large, clear view of the high resolution, 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder on the EOS M5. Available in angled 45º (PN 32205) and Straight (PN 32204) formats, both viewfinders have external dioptric adjustments for dialing in perfect correction matched to the photographer’s eyesight.
Support & Downloads
What's in the box?
- NA-EOSM5 Housing
- Spare silicone rubber O-ring for housing, O-ring remover and lubricant
- CR-2032 Battery
- Set of allen keys
- Instruction Manual
Patented Port Locking System
Unveiled on the very first Nauticam DSLR housing in 2009, this locking lever has become a signature of the Nauticam brand. No twisting or threading action is required to mount a port, and it locks securely in place with this lever. Nauticam also offers locking port extensions, meaning a dome will never twist, even when used with a long extension ring.
Housing Locking Latch
The secure single rotating housing latch opens the housing back allowing for quick and easy battery or media changes.
Ergonomic Rubberized Grips
Another legendary Nauticam feature, these rubberized grips have been used every Nauticam DSLR housing release. The zoom / focus control knob also features this same soft touch rubber coating for improved tactile feel. Nauticam now brings the same innovation to our mirrorless housings like the NA-EOSM5.
Stainless Steel Handle Brackets
Stiffening handle brackets are included with the housing. These brackets eliminate any flex or wobble when using big strobes, and provide multiple attachment points for lanyards or other accessories.
To use an external monitor housing like the Nauticam NA-502H, add an accessory HDMI bulkhead to the M16 port on the front of the housing. (25028+25032+25046 are needed).
Camera Mounting Tray
A locking camera mount system secures the camera in place, providing strength and precise positioning even when a heavy lens is mounted.
Integrated Vacuum System
The Nauticam vacuum check and leak detection system is available with NA-EOSM5 as standard equipment. Combined with an optional vacuum valve (PN 25624), this monitoring system provides constant updates on the water tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing.